We know that \begin{align*} \|u\|_{0,\infty,\Omega}={\text{ess} \sup}_{x\in \Omega}|u|. \end{align*} Moreover, the nonconforming Crouzeix-Raviart finite element space is \begin{align*} V_h=\{ v|_K\in P_1(K),\ v ~\text{is continuous at the midpoints of edges and } v=0 \text{ at the midpoints on boundary edges}\}. \end{align*} For a function $w\in V_h$, we know that $w\notin H_0^1(\Omega)$.

My question is what is the definition of $\|w\|_{0,\infty,\Omega}$ and $\|\nabla w\|_{0,\infty,\Omega}$?

In addition, does the inversive inequality \begin{align*} \|\nabla w\|_{0,\infty,\Omega}\leq Ch^{-1}\|w\|_{0,2,\Omega}, w\in V_h \end{align*} hold?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Maybe you can do that element-wise and consider sum over elements instead of global norm? $\endgroup$
    – VorKir
    Commented May 20, 2017 at 19:31

1 Answer 1


As @VorKir mentions, for nonconforming spaces one has to use broken Sobolev norms that are defined elementwise (in your notation) as $$\begin{aligned} \|v\|_{k,p,\Omega} &= \left(\sum_{K} \|v\|_{k,p,K}^p\right)^{1/p},\quad 1\leq p<\infty,\\ \|v\|_{k,\infty,\Omega} &= \max_K \|v\|_{k,\infty,K} \end{aligned}$$ for $v\in V_h$, where $\|v\|_{k,p,K}$ is the usual $W^{k,p}(K)$ norm of $v|_K$ (which by definition is a polynomial and hence arbitrarily often differentiable).

There are inverse estimates for broken norms, but you lose additional powers of $h$ by having a larger value of $p$ on the left-hand side. If $\Omega\subset \mathbb{R}^n$, there exists a $C$ independent of $h$ such that $$ \|v\|_{1,\infty,\Omega} \leq C h^{-1-n/2} \|v\|_{0,2,\Omega} \quad\text{for all }v\in V_h.$$ (This is a special case of Theorem 4.5.11 in Brenner, Susanne C.; Scott, L.Ridgway, The mathematical theory of finite element methods, Texts in Applied Mathematics 15. New York, NY: Springer (ISBN 978-0-387-75933-3/hbk). xvii, 397~p. (2008). ZBL1135.65042.)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.