I'm still pretty new in the CFD modelling world.

Can anyone advise me how to define a inlet for a tidal basin in Fluent? The water level and the velocity at the inlet vary in time due to the tide cycle.


1 Answer 1


Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you might want to look at some of the ocean modeling codes that exist to model a tidel inlet. The Princeton Ocean Model (POM) is one of the most well-known of these and is relatively easy to setup. Other examples include

all of which have an active user community with examples.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Will not downvote this because it provides references, but it is more appropriate as a comment rather than an answer. Also, POM is very obsolete nowadays IMO, and has more of a historical importance. $\endgroup$ May 16, 2013 at 18:16
  • $\begingroup$ This answer is too long for a comment, which is probably why it's an answer; comments are limited to 500 characters. It's also pertinent to the question. $\endgroup$ May 16, 2013 at 22:49
  • $\begingroup$ I would like to simulate the water movements (circulations) in a tidal basin due to the tidal in- and outflow. After that I plan to make several adjustments to the interior of the basin to see how the water movements change. So you're saying this isn't possible in Ansys Fluent and I should use another program? $\endgroup$
    – Elyse
    May 17, 2013 at 8:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.